Integrative Medicine Questions and Answers
If you are looking for an integrative medicine clinic in Austin TX, or the surrounding area, we welcome you to come to Integrative Medical Group of Texas! We are committed to providing first-rate integrative medicine treatments to all of our patients. Call us today or book an appointment online.
While we are societally conditioned to view health issues as individual problems when multiple illnesses or conditions afflict us, they are often interrelated in a complex web! Unfortunately, conventional medicine compartmentalizes each issue and treats them individually. While there are many alternative treatments, they miss out on the benefits of conventional medicine. As such, integrative medicine is an excellent solution to this problem, as it combines conventional medicine with alternative treatments! At Integrative Medical Group of Texas, our medical experts would be delighted to provide you with integrative medicine services.
What does integrative medicine mean?
Integrative medicine is guided by several different principles that aim to consider the health of the whole person, that is, their physical, mental, emotional, social, spiritual, and environmental well-being, as well as their lifestyle habits. In this way, integrative medicine differs from the conventional approach, which considers health to be the absence of disease or adverse symptoms. The specific principles that guide integrative medicine include the following:
- The patient and practitioner relationship is a partnership in the healing process
- Holistic consideration of all factors that contribute to health, wellness, and disease, including the mind, body, spirit, and community
- Strategic use of conventional and alternative methods to facilitate the body’s innate healing responses
- Prioritization of natural and minimally invasive treatment methods whenever possible
- Integrative medicine does not reject conventional medicine or accept alternative treatments uncritically; rather, it is rooted in scientifically sound approaches that are inquiry-driven and open to new paradigms.
- Health promotion and illness prevention are paramount
- Integrative medicine practitioners are encouraged to exemplify such principles and commit themselves to self-exploration and -development
At Integrative Medical Group of Texas, our board-certified physicians, chiropractors, and nurse practitioners all adhere to the guiding principles of integrative medicine and are committed to helping each patient holistically find health!
What is an example of integrative medicine?
Since integrative medicine combines conventional and alternative medicine in its approach, there are numerous integrative medicine treatments! In addition to conventional medical treatments and methods, some examples of integrative medicine include the following:
- Chiropractic care
- Detoxification therapies
- Massage therapy
- Medication reduction therapies
- Meditation and mindfulness techniques
- Nutritional therapies, including dietary supplements, herbal medicines, and naturopathic medicines
- Preventive medicine
- And more!
For specific examples of integrative medicine services that we offer at Integrative Medical Group of Texas.
What is the difference between integrative and functional medicine?
Integrative and functional medicine are quite similar in their approach to medicine. However, there are some slight differences between the two specialties. Whereas integrative medicine focuses on an individual’s holistic health, functional medicine focuses on the body’s optimal function by attending to each organ and bodily process. As such, both functional medicine and integrative medicine understand the body as a complex, interconnected whole, in contrast with conventional medicine, which compartmentalizes the body into various parts. Overall, functional medicine seeks to get at the root or underlying cause of an illness or condition, while integrative medicine aims to the body, mind, and spirit.
Is integrative medicine a specialty?
Since integrative medicine requires specialized training and education, it is considered a specialty. At Integrative Medical Group of Texas, our medical experts are highly competent to provide this specialized service to you!
If you have further questions about integrative medicine or would like to schedule an appointment with us at Integrative Medical Group of Texas, we would love to hear from you!
For an appointment, you can either schedule one through our website or call us between 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM or 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM on Monday & Thursday or from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. Our clinic is located at 6905 West Gate Blvd, Suite A, in Austin, Texas. We serve patients from Austin TX, Sunset Valley TX, Hays TX, Rollingwood TX, Bee Cave TX, Manchaca TX, West Lake Hills TX, Buda TX and South Austin, TX. Looking forward to serve you!