Neck Pain Specialist Questions and Answers
Are you looking for an experienced neck pain specialist who can help you relieve your pain? Look no further than Integrative Medical Group of Texas. We have experienced pain management doctors in Austin, TX who provide a variety of treatment options for neck pain. For more information, please call us or request an appointment online.
The neck, technically referred to as the cervical spine or cervix (not to be confused with the part of the female reproductive system), is a highly mobile structure composed of many interworking parts that enable some of the most basic functions. Due to its high rate of mobility, the neck can become strained and exhibit painful symptoms. One of the most common neck injuries is whiplash, which often occurs during sports or an auto accident. If left untreated, neck pain can interfere with fundamental functions that severely reduce quality of life. Fortunately, there are medical professionals who specialize in treating neck pain and can help those affected not only find relief, but also heal in a holistic manner.
What is the cause of neck pain?
Neck pain, also referred to as cervical pain, is a common medical condition. It can be caused by a number of disorders and diseases and can involve any of the tissues in the neck, including the bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons and cartilage. Examples of common conditions causing neck pain are:
- Degenerative disc disease
- Neck strain
- Cervical spondylosis
- Spinal stenosis
- Poor posture
- Polymyalgia rheumatica
Neck injuries that cause pain include:
Neck pain can come from common infections, including:
- Viral infection of the throat
- Tuberculosis of the neck
- Infection of the spine bones in the neck
- Meningitis (often accompanied by neck stiffness)
What are symptoms of neck pain?
Common symptoms of neck pain include:
- Pain in the middle or side of the neck, however it may also extend to the shoulder or to the upper back or upper chest
- Pain or weakness in arms
- Tension headaches
- Pain when moving the neck, especially after sitting or sleeping in one position for a long period of time
- Limited range of motion — neck cannot turn fully without pain
- Stiff neck
- Sharp pain
- General soreness
- Radicular pain
- Cervical radiculopathy, which can lead to neurological deficits, such as problems with sensation, reflexes or strength
- Trouble with gripping or lifting objects
When should I go to a doctor for neck pain?
It may be recommended to see a doctor for neck pain if you have:
- Pain that lasts for more than two weeks
- Trouble performing daily activities
- Pain that interferes with sleep
- Pain, tingling, numbness or weakness in arms/legs
- Symptoms other than pain and stiffness
- Sudden severe pain after a fall or injury
- Suddenly developed neck stiffness along with difficulty lifting both arms above the head
How is neck pain treated?
The treatment for neck pain is dependent upon a number of factors, including:
- The severity of pain
- The specific location of pain
- If any underlying conditions are present
- The overall health of the patient
- How well the patient responds to treatment
Based on these factors, a neck pain specialist will develop a treatment plan to address each individual’s unique needs. At Integrative Medical Group of Texas, we use the following therapies to treat neck pain:
If you are experiencing neck pain, come to Integrative Medical Group of Texas today. Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in treating neck pain with natural, holistic therapies and can help you address the underlying cause of your pain for long-term relief! Call us today at (512) 601-8540 to book an appointment, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 6905 West Gate Blvd Suite A, Austin, TX 78745. Our office is open on Monday and Thursday from 7 AM to 11 AM then from 3 PM to 6 PM (closed from 11 AM to 3 PM), and on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8 AM to 1 PM, then from 3 PM to 6 PM (closed from 1 PM to 3 PM). We serve patients from Austin TX, Sunset Valley TX, Hays TX, Rollingwood TX, Bee Cave TX, Manchaca TX, West Lake Hills TX, Buda TX, and South Austin, TX. Looking forward to serve you!