Whiplash Treatment Questions and Answers
A person with whiplash can make a quick recovery with the right professional care. We offer this care here at Integrative Medical Group of Texas, your local whiplash treatment clinic in Austin, TX. Even if your recovery will take a while, we’ll be here for you and able to help. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us today for the therapy you need and the recovery you’ve been hoping for! For more information, please call us or request an appointment online.
How can I tell whether I have whiplash?
If you haven’t already been diagnosed with whiplash, you can come see us for diagnosis. You really should seek professional attention, as often, whiplash requires professional care in order for a patient to make a full recovery.
During a professional examination, a doctor will ask you about your symptoms and the event that caused your symptoms. The doctor will touch and move your head, neck, and arms, and will ask you to move and perform simple tasks. The doctor’s goal with all this is to check your:
- Range of motion in the affected areas
- Reflexes, strength, and sensation in your limbs
- Pain and how motion affects it
Additionally, the doctor may need to provide or order an imaging test or multiple tests to rule out other, related conditions that could be contributing to your pain. One of these tests may be an X-ray, a CT scan, or an MRI.
What is whiplash treatment?
Treatment for whiplash depends on the extent of the whiplash injury. Sometimes all a patient needs is over-the-counter medication and at-home care, but other times a patient needs prescription medication and specialized pain treatment. Your recovery plan may include treatments and therapies like:
- Rest – This can help initially, but too much bed rest can delay recovery
- Hot or cold treatment – This can ease symptoms significantly
- Pain medications – Either nonprescription or prescription, depending on your needs; certain prescription antidepressant drugs can relieve nerve pain associated with whiplash
- Muscle relaxants – To relax tightened muscles, soothe pain, and/or help with sleep
- Injections – Various injections of numbing agents can decrease pain; this can make physical therapy easier
- Physical therapy – This can be especially effective for whiplash and help you avoid further injury
- TENS therapy – A mild electric current is applied to the skin to ease neck pain and improve muscle strength
- At-home stretching and movement exercises – To restore range of motion over time
- Integrative medicine and alternative treatments – Acupuncture, chiropractic treatment, massage therapy, and mind-body therapies like yoga may help you significantly with your recovery
What are the goals with whiplash treatment?
With whiplash treatment, the overall goals are to:
- Control and improve your pain
- Restore range of motion in your neck and other affected areas
- Get you back to your everyday activities
With us here at Integrative Medical Group of Texas, you’ll benefit from not only the conventional methods for treating whiplash, but also the less conventional ones, like chiropractic care. These other treatments and therapies may help you greatly and be major components of your treatment. They can also contribute to fully comprehensive treatment for you.
Do you have a whiplash treatment clinic in Austin, TX?
Yes, we do! Integrative Medical Group of Texas has a whiplash clinic near you at 6905 West Gate Blvd, Suite A Austin, TX 78745. If you need our services, don’t hesitate to reach out today. You can reach us at 512-447-9093 and book a consultation with us. We’ll tell you everything else you’d like to know about whiplash treatment and your recovery with us at Integrative Medical Group of Texas! We serve patients from Austin TX, Sunset Valley TX, Hays TX, Rollingwood TX, Bee Cave TX, Manchaca TX, West Lake Hills TX, Buda TX and South Austin, TX. Looking forward to serve you!